Areas of Competence:
Administrative Law, Business Litigation, Civil Rights, Commercial, Compensation, Construction, Consumer, Contracts, Employment, Environmental Law, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Labor, Personal Injury, Products Liability, Real Property, Social Security
Mr. Sanders is senior counsel in SmithAmundsen’s Saint Louis office. Prior to 2017, Patrick was Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary, and a member of the Board of Directors for one of Missouri’s premier automotive groups, and offered counsel on the resolution of a wide variety of legal issues, business disputes and advised senior executives on the negotiation and structure of business and financial transactions. He was responsible for the negotiation, drafting and execution of all business acquisitions, business agreements, leases, operating agreements and complex business arrangements and advised on business ethics, compliance, risk management, claim evaluation and pre- and post-dispute resolution. His extensive executive and legal experience facilitates effective C-suite communication and permits him to work seamlessly with the management of all operating entities, including, operations, finance, treasury, audit, marketing/social media, HR, IT & ERM functions.
Patrick’s 25+ year career in private practice involved corporate & commercial litigation, contractual issues & business law with a special emphasis on employment and labor & employment law, including a national practice involving federal and state court litigation, mediation & arbitration, collective bargaining, wrongful discharge, employment discrimination, wage & hour, equal pay, whistleblower and resolution of safety & health issues.
Mr. Sanders has been involved in the negotiation, resolution and/or litigation of disputes on a national and regional basis in the construction, airline, automotive, financial services, mining and pipeline transportation industries and has litigated, negotiated and advised multi-state, regional and local clients in the homebuilding, commercial, and heavy & highway construction, environmental consulting and management services, chemical, warehouse and logistics, construction & landscaping supply, metal fabrication, trucking, printing and paper/graphic supply, public sector governmental entity, real estate development and multi-family and commercial building real estate management sectors. His nationwide safety and health practice included extensive Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) compliance and citation contest work, as well as, representing mining companies before the Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA).
Mr. Sanders’ legal experience prior to private practice includes Senior Labor Counsel for Peabody Coal Co. and Peabody Holding Co. (Peabody Energy), and Chief Trial Attorney/St. Louis County Office of the Public Defender.
- American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- American Bar Association, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee
- American Bar Association, Employee Rights & Responsibilities Committee
- The Missouri Bar
- Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- National Association of Dealer Counsel
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Saint Louis University, B.S. Finance, 1973
- Saint Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 1976
- Missouri Supreme Court, 1976
- United States District Court - Eastern District of Missouri, 1979
- United States Court of Appeals - Eighth Circuit, 1979
- United States Court of Appeals - Sixth Circuit, 1980
- United States Court of Appeals - Ninth Circuit, 1982
- United States Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit, 1984
- Martindale-Hubbell "AV" Rating
- James S. McDonnell USO Distinguished Service Honor, 1992
St. Louis, MO
Available for Service