Hon. David Herndon
Areas of Competence:
Admiralty, Business Litigation, Civil Rights, Commercial, Employment, FELA, Insurance, Intellectual Property, Products Liability, Professional Liability / Malpractice, Toxic Torts
Arbitrator, Special Master
David Herndon is a legal professional with over forty years of experience including fourteen years as a trial lawyer and twenty-seven years as a judge. David has extensive expertise in trial strategy and complex litigation management. During his two decade tenure as U.S. District Judge for the Southern District of Illinois, David handled civil and criminal cases, in excess of 35,000 individual cases, including several multi-district cases (one of which was the largest in the nation during the bulk of its pendency).
During forty-seven years in the legal profession, David engaged in hundreds of mediations, conducting a large number of mediations and co-mediations throughout his judicial career in cases assigned to him and also many assigned to other judicial officers.
- Federal Judges Association, 1998-Present; Board of Directors 2014-2018, Member of Security, Membership, Nominations 2014-2018, Co-chair Security Committee 2016-2018
- Illinois Judges Association, 1991-Present
- Madison County Bar Association, 1997-Present
- B.A., Southern Illinois University, 1974
- J.D., Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1977
- Illinois, 1977
- Missouri, 1980
- Judge of the Decade, 2018 International Association of Top Professionals, New York, NY
- Judge of the Year, 2017 and 2018 International Association of Top Professionals, New York, NY
- Lifetime Achievement Award, 2017, International Association of Top Professionals, New York, NY
- Trial Lawyers Hall of Fame, 2017
Mediation Scheduling Calendar:
Please click on your preferred available date below to send your Appointment Request form directly to our scheduling staff.
St. Louis (Headquarters)
Available for Service