Areas of Competence:
Construction, Contracts, Intellectual Property, Professional Liability / Malpractice
Bill has combined over 40 years of experience as an architect, trial lawyer, and as general counsel and corporate secretary for a major U.S.-based AEC company. As a lawyer in private practice, Bill represented design professionals, general contractors, subcontractors and owners in legal and contractual matters, domestically and internationally, including direct representation and insurance defense. Extensive experience in drafting legislation and contracts.
He also taught courses for many years as an Adjunct Professor through the University of Kansas School of Architecture on Law and the Design Professional and on Design-Build.
Bill is recognized as an expert in matters related to design, construction and the design-build/EPC form of project delivery. Chaired and co-chaired multiple committees for the American Institute of Architects (AIA) and the Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA), including those dealing with laws and regulations, contract documents and design-build.
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- Fellow; Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA)
- Fellow; Construction Lawyers Society of America (CSLA)
- Past Chairman; DBIA Board
- University of Missouri - Kansas City School of Law (JD-1984)
- University of Kansas School of Architecture and Urban Design (BA, Architecture-1983; BA, Environmental Design-1980)
- Admitted to the Bar: Missouri (1984)
- US District Court: Western District of Missouri (1984)
- District of Kansas (2000)
- US Court of Appeals: 1st Circuit (2006)
- 8th Circuit (1987)
- 10th Circuit (1994)
- US Supreme Court (1992)
Available for Service